UWM Home PageUWM Graduate School UWM logo Grad School graphic
Quick Links


Graduate Student Travel Support Program


The Graduate School Travel Support program offers partial funding to UWM master's and doctoral students for presenting scholarly and creative works at conferences, performances, or exhibitions. Such activities are an important part of the professional development of graduate students, offering opportunities to establish professional networks, contacts for collaborative research, and sources of potential future employment. Funded amounts vary depending on distance, receipt of prior support through this program, and other current support. Funding is provided as reimbursement of expenses after the travel has been completed. There is a cumulative limit of approximately $1,000 per student for each program in which the student is enrolled.


  • Students must be enrolled in a graduate degree program.
  • An applicant’s presentation, performance, or exhibition must be officially recognized by the sponsoring organization. Evidence of this—a letter or notice of acceptance or link to (or PDF of) the program schedule showing the applicants' participation—is required before funds will be released.


  • Students are encouraged to submit applications six months before the event.
  • Students may not apply more than six months after the event.
  • Each student may apply only once for a specific conference/event (e.g., the American Physical Society meeting, March 2012).
  • Each student is limited to two applications per academic year.

Graduate Student Travel Support application

Selection Process

Priority in funding will be given to those who:

  • Have not previously received travel support through this program.
  • Are participating in international or national conferences.
  • Are giving first- or single-authored presentations or solo performances or exhibitions.

Travel Guidelines

  • Awardees must comply with the State and campus travel policies and procedures and any other School or College instructions. Students planning to drive personal vehicles or rental cars must be registered and authorized by UWM. See the Drivers and Vehicles Web site.

Page last updated on: 01/28/2015