Certificate In Ergonomics
The Certificate in Ergonomics program is designed to provide a formal program of study for students who wish to pursue careers in ergonomics in industry, government, or academia.
Students wishing to earn the certificate must be enrolled either in a master's or doctoral degree program in any department or be admitted as non-degree graduate students (see below) at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee and must complete the required 15 credit hours with a GPA of 3.0 or better from the following group of courses:
- I&ME 580 Ergonomics of Workplace, 3 cr.
- I&ME 780 Advanced Ergonomics - Low Back Pain, 3 cr.
- I&ME 783 Advanced Ergonomics - Upper Extremity, 3 cr.
- I&ME 786 Issues In Ergonomics: Measurement and Statistics, 1 cr.
- I&ME 787 Issues In Ergonomics: Epidemiology, 1 cr.
- I&ME 788 Issues In Ergonomics: Legal/Regulatory, 1 cr.
- I&ME 790 Design Project, 3 cr.
Those students who wish to earn the certificate in ergonomics and are not enrolled in a degree program at UWM can be admitted as non-degree graduate students in Engineering provided they meet one of the following requirements:
- A bachelor's or higher degree with a GPA of 2.75 or better in engineering, medicine, industrial hygiene, safety, physical therapy, occupational therapy, nursing, educational psychology, human kinetics.
- A bachelor's or higher degree with a GPA of 2.75 or better with evidence of at least one year of experience in ergonomics and/or occupational health and safety related area.
Admission as a non-degree graduate student in Engineering does not constitute admission to a Master's or a Doctoral degree program in Engineering.
Students wishing to obtain the Certificate in Ergonomics must declare their intentions by applying to the Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department prior to completion of two of the seven required courses. After completing the program requirements, a Certificate in Ergonomics will be awarded by the Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering within four weeks after completing the requirements.
This certificate program is subject to federal gainful employment regulations. For more information please visit http://www4.uwm.edu/financialaid/EligConsInfo/gainfulemployment.cfm.